Announcing the 2019 ‘Vimy to Juno’ Charity Bike Ride
The Vimy Foundation is proud to announce a unique opportunity to cycle through Canada’s First and Second World War history, in June 2019. The ‘Vimy to Juno’ Charity Bike Ride combines 500-700km of riding through beautiful countryside and challenging courses with a powerful historical narrative culminating in the 75th anniversary of commemorations.
The tour begins in the battlefields where Canada was active in the First World War, taking riders through Belgium and Northern France, including special visits to Menin Gate (and Last Post Ceremony), Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial, and the Canadian National Vimy Memorial – which will incorporate activities inside the new Visitor Education Centre, at the soon to be opened Vimy Foundation Centennial Park, and exclusive access to the nearby underground tunnels of Maison Blanche, not open to the public.
Heading into Normandy, riders will trace the route followed by Canadian soldiers in campaigns of the Second World War, including the Dieppe Raid, culminating in wreath laying and attending a special Gala Dinner with Heads of States and other VIPs, as part of the commemorations for the 75th anniversary of the D–Day landings. Along the Vimy to Juno route, riders will participate in a special event with cyclists on the Wounded Warriors Canada Battlefield Bike Ride (BBR19), joining like-minded Canadians exploring Canada’s wartime history on two wheels. You won’t have to be an expert cyclist to go on this trip, but a level of training and bicycle knowledge is required.
- – Ypres Region: Last post ceremony at the Menin Gate
- – Vimy Region: Canadian National Vimy Memorial
- – Vimy Region: exclusive access to underground tunnels at Maison Blanche
- – Normandy Region: Visit Dieppe and Second World War campaign locations
- – Normandy Region: Attend D-Day 75 Ceremonies at Juno Beach and Gala Dinner with Heads of State
- – Special meal with General (Ret’d) Rick Hillier
- – Tour Company: Great Explorations
- – Activity Level: Moderate
- – Dates: May 30 – June 7, 2019
- – Cost: CAD$7750 pp (including donation to the Vimy Foundation of $2500, tax deductible)
- – Single Supplement: CAD$1250 pp
- – Bike Rental: included (additional information on the bicycles available to riders)
- – Detailed Itinerary (opens PDF)
What’s Included in the Cost of Your Trip?
- – Services of one or more experienced Great Explorations guides and support vehicle
- – 8 nights lodging
- – All meals
- – Entrance fees for selected historical sites and museums
- – Detailed map and route instructions
- – All baggage transportation
- – All transportation from initial meeting point to final drop-off (see arrive/depart cities)
- – Each participant should complete an online registration form with a deposit of $1,000 and final payment 90 days prior to travel. At that time, a final itinerary will be provided with additional details.
- – Great Explorations will prepare a Trip Planner with additional planning details for participants and handle all confirmations directly with clients.
- – Trip operated by Great Explorations, a cycling tour operator with over 20 years experience operating cycling trips in France and throughout the world. President and owner Robbin McKinney will oversee route planning etc. in consultation with the Vimy Foundation. Distance and elevation gains may vary depending on final route selection and hotels. The itinerary may vary depending on final determination of hotel choices, routes and Vimy Foundation events.
(Indicate ‘Custom trip – Vimy’)
Questions about the ‘Vimy to Juno’ Charity Bike Ride?
Please contact Great Explorations: email@example.com or 1(800) 242-1825.