The Vimy Foundation Centennial Park will be on 4 acres of land adjacent to the Canadian National Vimy Memorial site in Northern France. It will feature 100 Centennial Trees dedicated to Canadians. Each tree will be a descendant of a ‘Vimy Oak’ acorn which fell from a European Oak during the Battle of Vimy Ridge, and was subsequently planted in Scarborough, ON.
Each Centennial Tree is available for purchase by the public for $10,000 and will feature the donor’s name on the Centennial Park plaque. Proceeds will support Vimy 2017 centennial activities and education programs of the Vimy Foundation.
The design and setting of the Vimy Centennial Park will complement the surrounding area and be a reflective and emotional element of the site. Recognition will be on the Centennial Park plaque.
After the Vimy battle was won, many soldiers realized that they had been part of something truly great. Leslie Miller looked around for a souvenir on the Ridge, which was completely devoid of structures or vegetation due to shell fire but he did find a half buried oak tree. He gathered up a handful of acorns. Those acorns were subsequently planted by him on farm land which is now home to the Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church. He called his farm the ‘Vimy Oaks Farm’. Today, several of the original oaks survive. However, there are no original oaks on the Vimy Ridge site.
Click here to watch a news segment on the Vimy Oak story with City News reporter Audra Brown, and click here for the video update. For additional photos of the Vimy Oaks, please click here.
- The Boquist Family
- Stewart Burton
- Graham Campbell & Rachel St. John
- Joseph L. Campbell and Joan Miller-Campbell
- John Costigan
- The Croxon Family
- The Dalglish Family Foundation
- Donnelly Automotive Group, Ottawa
- Robert C. Douglas & Joanne R. Sutherland in Honour of James R. Sutherland Sr. 44th Bn. (Man)
- Eastern Arctic Cadets of Nunavut
- Robert Francis
- The Fraser Family in memory of Frederick Thomas Lodge & John (Jack) Fraser
- Matt and Erin Giffen & Family
- The Glover Family honours Sergeant Winfred (Fred) Alexander Glover, 21st Battalion, Canadian Infantry
- Ian Gray
- Ken and Dianne Griffith & Family
- Erin Hamblin
- Ainslie Hogan and sons
- Michael Hyatt
- Industrial Alliance
- Irene Topits
- The Kelleher Family in memory of Dr. W.R. Harwood
- Nancy MacKellar
- Rachael McCaig
- The McCook, Leger, and Styner Family
- The Mews Family in memory of Lieutenant Henry (Harry) George Reginald Mews
- Mike Stollery Automotive Partnerships in honour of Private G. R. Mowforth
- Catherine & Marylyn Moore
- Randy & Carolyn Peek & Family
- Pembcorp Automotive Group
- PPCLI Foundation
- Robert Quartermain
- The Ritz & Hunt families in memory of Pte Harry Franklin Ritz (78th Bn)
- Royal Canadian Dragoons
- Royal Canadian Navy
- The Shanahan Carriage Company in memory of Lieutenant-Colonel John H. Chipman, MC, VD
- TAO Asset Management
- The Vickers Family in memory of Gunner Arthur Vickers and Private Arthur Fordham
- Kingley Ward
- The Wood Family in memory of Flight Lieutenant John Harvie Wiley
- The Wyant Family in memory of Lieutenant-Colonel Gordon M. Wyant, OC, CD, QHP
To purchase a Centennial Tree and support the Vimy Foundation’s Vimy 2017 centennial programs, please contact Jeremy Diamond, Vimy Foundation Executive Director, at email@example.com or 416.595.1917 x 1.